Indian armed forces Medical Standard & Physical Test 2017 – Dear Indian Armed Forces candidates, here in this post we are going to discuss medical and physical standard for Indian Armed Forces.
This article on Armed forces medical standard is updated as per official website information.
Which Includes Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force. Except few exams, there is minimum physical and medical criteria for Armed forces which you need to fulfill to get eligible for its recruitment.
Indian armed forces Medical Standard
This may include height, chest and weight measurement to Join Indian Armed Forces. For all three forces, Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force, you need to pass the medical exam as well as physical exam to get the final selection. Hence in this article we are briefing the common criteria for Indian Armed Forces.
Lets look at Medical Exam for Indian Armed Forces.
Height Physical in Armed Forces
For male and female separate height criteria is decided. Also there is relaxation in Height for Candidates from hill area and few other reserved category.
Male Height: Min 157.5 cm
Female Height: Min 152 cm
Relaxation in Height: For Gorkhas, Nepalese, Assamese and Garhwalis (or belonging to the North East and other hilly areas), the height will be relaxed by 5 cm.
Weight is measured as per the Height. There is no fix weight criteria. It is always has to be in ration of Height. The more your height is, the more you will get the weight limit in Higher side.
Male Height-Weight Table
Below chart/table is showing Height (cms) and corresponding weights for Male candidates.
Height in Cm
Weight in KG
152 – 158
46 – 49
47 – 50
50 – 54
54 – 58
159 – 165
50 – 53
51 – 55
55 – 59
59 – 63
166 – 171
54 – 56
56 – 59
60 – 64
63 – 66
172 – 178
57 – 60
59 – 63
64 – 69
67 – 71
179 – 183
61 – 63
64 – 66
69 – 72
72 – 74
184 – 185
67 – 68
73 – 74
Female Height-Weight Chart
Below chart/table is showing Height (cms) and corresponding weights for female candidates (Indian armed forces Medical Standard Height/Weight Chart)
Height in Cms
Weight in KG
148 – 151
43 – 45
46 – 48
152 – 155
46 – 48
49 – 51
156 – 160
49 – 51
52 – 55
161 – 165
52 – 54
55 – 58
166 – 171
55 – 58
59 – 62
172 – 176
59 – 61
63 – 66
177 – 178
62 – 63
- All candidates are expected to have well-formed chests.
- For males the minimum range of expansion after full inspiration should be 5 cms.
- Please note the round off figure of readings:
- Less than 0.5 cm will be recorded as 0.0 cm
- 0.5 cm will be recorded as 0.5 cm
- More than 0.5 cm will be recorded as 1 cm.
You should be fulfilling below vision standards as per the Indian armed forces Medical Standard Criteria. Please refer below points of Visual Eligibility for better idea.
- A candidate should be able to read 6/6 in a distant vision chart with each eye with or without glasses. Myopia should not be more than 3.5D and hypermetropia not more than 3.5D including Astigmatism. For women candidates the minimum acceptable visual acuity are: Distant vision (corrected)better eye 6/6 worse 6/18, Myopia of not more than minus 5.5 including Astogination.
- Internal examination of the eye will be done by means of ophthalmoscope to rule out any disease of the eye. A candidate must have good binocular vision. The colour vision standard will be CP-III for Army A candidate should be able to recognise red and green colours.
- Candidates who have undergone or have the evidence of having undergone Radial Keratotomy, to improve the visual acuity, will be permanently rejected.
- Candidates who have undergone LASER Surgery for correction of refractive error will be considered for commission in Army if they fulfill following criteria :-
- Age more than 20 years.
- Uncomplicated stable LASIK/Excimer (PRK) laser procedure done for Myopia or Hypermetropia, with stable refraction for a period of six months after the procedure.
- A healthy retina.
- Corrected vision should be 6/6 in better eye and 6/9 in worse eye, with maximum residual refraction of + 1.50 in any meridian for myopia or hypermetropia.
- Axial length within permissible limits.
Indian Armed Forces Physical Standard
Below physical parameters you need to make sure that you qualify before appearing for medical exam.
- The candidate must be in good physical and mental health and free from any disease/disability which is likely to interfere with the efficient performance of duties/
- There should be no evidence of weak constitution, bodily defects or over weight.
- You should fulfill the criteria for minimum acceptable height for Male/female. (check above table).
- Chest should be healthy. You should fulfill above chest criteria.
- There should be no disease of bones and joints of the body.
- A candidate should have no past history of mental breakdown or fits.
- The hearing should be normal.
- There should be no evidence of present or past disease of the ear, nose and throat.
- There should be no sign of functional or organic disease of the heart and blood vessel.
- Blood pressure should be normal.
- The muscles of abdomen should be well developed and there should be no enlargement of liver or spleen.
- There should be no hydrocele, varicocele or piles.
- Urine examination will be done and any abnormality, if detected will be a cause for rejection.
- Any disease of the skin which is likely to cause disability or disfigurement will also be a cause for rejection.
- Please check vision criteria and make sure you fulfill them.
You not permitted to have permanent tattoos on any part of their body except on:
- Inner face of forearms
- Reverse side of palm or back
However, candidates belonging to tribal communities/from tribal areas, as declared by the Government of India are permitted to have permanent body tattoos on any part of the body as per existing customs and traditions of the said tribe to which a candidate belongs.
As per standards, you can appeal to the medical board for reconsideration if declared unfit after proper treatments for conditions like underweight, overweight, etc. within the stipulated period.
Thanks for reading Indian armed forces Medical Standard & Armed forces Physical Test (Navy/Army/Air Force). Please comment if any questions.